Hello, wrestling fans, and welcome back to The Wrestling Signs of Our Times!
It’s August, and you know what that means: it’s the biggest, slammiest part of the professional wrestling summer! That’s right, it’s SUMMER SLAM TIME. I’ve been waiting for this since Battleground and believe me when I say the event did NOT disappoint! The action was phenomenal, Naomi and Balor’s entrances were astonishingly good, and there were clever and attractive signs everywhere I looked! So let’s take a closer look at those signs, shall we?
Here at Wrestling Signs of Our Times, I rate the signs I spot at WWE pay-per-views and then rank them based on five criteria: Best Overall Sign, Worst Overall Sign, Best Wrestler-Specific Sign, Best Non Sequitur, and Most Attractive Sign. I introduced this blog series last month after Battleground and I plan to keep it going every month. These five categories will never change, but sometimes I may add an Honorable Mention or two. And I invite your additions in the comments!
Let’s get to the ranking!
- Best Wrestler-Specific Sign How fun is this sign?
- Most Attractive Sign This sign is seriously arty. You can tell someone put a lot of work into it.
- Best Non Sequitur When I first saw this sign, my reaction was “Huh?” And I quickly snapped a pic because I thought it was a beautiful non sequitur. Later on, I said the words out loud to myself and realized how very much like “Brock Lesnar” they sounded. So I did a quick Google search and oh, my!
Leave it to the Internet.
But this sign does NOT belong in the Best Wrestler-Specific category. It is far too meta and Internet-culture-loving-itself for that. It belongs right where it is.
- Worst Overall Sign Friend of Lindsey, I mean no disrespect. But dude, you shelled out for front-row seats at Summer Slam and you couldn’t go the extra mile by making a super cool sign? Instead, you bring two signs (one saying “Hi, David” and the other saying “Hi, Lindsey”) and you hold those up throughout the entire show. Ugh.
- Best Overall Sign This is an incredibly well-executed sign. With just three words (one of which is ‘is’) it manages to be a full sentence and a clever insult and it references four wrestlers (Chris Jericho, Kevin Owens, Enzo Amore, and Big Cass)! Wow. And it looks good, too! Bravo, sign maker!
I have a couple of honorable mentions to add this time! First, my own:
- Honorable Mention 1 Who among us hasn’t had this very thought while watching a WWE PPV? We love them, but man.
- Honorable Mention 2 This was submitted by my editor. Oh, Bork Laser!
I hope you enjoyed the Summer Slam edition of Wrestling Signs of Our Times! Did you see a fun sign at the event that I missed? Leave a comment and tell me about it! If you’re like me and just can’t get enough of wrestling signs, check out my other series Wrestling Signs of Yesteryear where I am watching every single Wrestlemania and ranking the signs according to these same five criteria.
As always, I remain:
Your friend in wrestling fandom,
Follow me on twitter: @LiteraryGrrrl
Follow Heel/Face on twitter: @HeelFaceRaslin